What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Friday, January 27, 2012

I'm supposed to be working on a talk for church this sunday.


The topic is Christ before his mortal ministry

(basically what can we learn about Christ in the Old Testament and how that has impacted my life).


I'm at a loss. Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated.


So,

rather than reading conference talks and the scriptures,

I'm reading about parenting (hey, at least I'm not reading tabloid websites),

and I came across this great article!



(You should really just read it, she says it better than I could)


But, quick glance for those who don't want to read the whole article:


1. You can't be in the room when I'm working unless you work too.

-Brilliant. They either really want to be with you and will help, or they'll leave you to get things done.


2. I don't work past 8 p.m.

-If they want bedtime stories and what not, no dragging their feet. Ahh I forsee watching Grey's Anatomy in peace...


3. You get what you get and you don't throw a fit

-Basically a more pleasing way to say life's not fair


4. Take that show on the road

-As a mom you really don't have to watch/listen to them perform hours on end or try to talk over them, they can continue playing in another room.


5. We don't argue about money

-Stop begging before it begins. If you say you're not buying something, end of discussion. Two sided though, you have to allow your children to spend their money how they choose.


6. I can't understand you when you speak like that

-Validate feelings, but don't tolerate whining, screaming, rude or otherwise unacceptable language.


7. There's no such thing as boredom

-Encourages kids to entertain themselves, use their imagination, etc.

2 comments:

"C" said...

I LOVE "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit!" I've used it in my classroom for a couple years and it is AMAZING!! It works to..they usually shrug if they didn't get exactly the one they wanted and then move on.

"C" said...

P.S. that's like that most complicated talk assignment ever

Post a Comment